Pen Collection: Why Did I Buy These?

Admit it: we all have pens because we gave in to the peer pressure of everyone else that loved them, or simply because we saw them online and wanted a better look. These ZIG Cocoiro Letter Pens fall into that very category. You know, the one that tells you, "What was I thinking!?" every time you look at them.

The problem is the first part of the barrel is really cool looking. It's sleek, it's reminiscent of a fountain pen, and something about it just makes you want to touch it. The second part is you get to purchase the barrels and the pens separately, just like the Zebra Prefills I posted about last week, so you can mix and match to your heart's content!


20141012_121414
 Here, I matched the yellow barrel with the brown ink. The love of the idea of the pen is not enough to actually love the pen itself.

First off, I hate the way they write. I don't press very hard when I write so I've never been afraid of using felt tips, but these are in a league of their own. You have to press a little hard to get the ink to show up on the page. I don't mind that they're thin, I don't mind that it's a bit of a longer felt tip than I prefer, but what I don't like is that the ink doesn't seem to flow so you feel like you're damaging the pen when you finally do get more than a light marking on the paper.

20141012_121510
The light blue ink flows even worse than the brown ink. Light blue can be a tough color to get to show up without it being too light, but this pen makes it nearly non-existent in some places. Writing with it feels like writing with a dried up felt tip that is scratching out the last few lines of it's life.

20141012_121640
The second thing about this pen I hate is how the butt of the ink barrels protrude out the end of the barrel. It looks like they forgot to finish the pen. I thought I'd be able to get past that irritant if I loved them as much as others I saw did, but alas, since I hate how they write, I can't get past the unfinished look of the barrel.

20141012_122349
The second pen I wonder why I purchased is my own fault and not the pen's itself. It's a beautiful Uni-Style + Fit pen with a sleek design. The .03 point is smooth and the pen itself is thin enough to slip into small spaces, making it fairly easy to carry. That sleek design is also a problem for me.

20141012_122443
I can't resist anything metallic, and especially not blue metallic, so I fell for this pretty girl's wiles. It's pretty and it writes well, but it also physically hurts to write with. Just a few strokes cause me pain because of how small I have to bring my hand together to grip the pen. This pen is just too thin for my carpal tunnel ridden hand to enjoy using so I'll be passing it off to someone else.

As for the ink itself, I love it. It writes smoothly and is a beautiful dark blue. It's the pen barrel itself that causes problems for me.

20141017_181041
I tested the bleed through on two types of paper.
The first is the Loose Life filler paper I have always enjoyed writing on and is a bit thin. This particular pack of paper is vintage and I have not yet purchased a new pack to compare the paper quality.
The second is your standard computer printer paper (which is the white to the right of the photo) and is a bit thicker.

20141017_183902
Front View

20141017_183931
Back View: There isn't much ghosting on the binder paper, even for the darker inked Uni-Style Fit pen, but it's just enough where I may think twice about using it to write a double sided letter or writing on thinner journal paper. There's no ghosting at all on the computer paper.

Do you have any pens you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

1 comments:

  1. I used to dislike pens with a fat tip until I discovered art journaling. I think I'd add just about any type of pen to my collection now because I never know what I'll be drawing or writing. It's nice to have a gazillion pens to choose from! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com