Pen Collection: ZIG Pens

I have quite the collection of pens. I have always loved office and school supplies and so I thought I'd share some of them with you. I greatly enjoy seeing what everyone else recommends and, of course, adding them to my wish list, so I hope you enjoy taking a peek into my own stash!

20141012_114738
I recently purchased a set of ZIG's Wink of Stella glitter markers, which are much more affordable than the Wink of Stella brush markers at only $2.00 apiece. Most of the pens have a fabulous sparkle to them, but there are a few that don't.

20141012_114728
The violet (bottom corner) and grey (top) markers didn't have much shimmer to them, but still had a bit. The black had almost none, which I am hoping with change with use, and you can also see a bit of the overspray the markers put out when they write in the black. This didn't always occur, but if I were writing something in my scrapbook I might be irritated by the somewhat messy look that it can cause.

20141012_115239
Keep in mind because the tips of the pens are a bit thicker, they may not work well for filling in fine lines, but would work great for adding some shimmer to sketches or cards. I'm looking forward to finding out if they bleed through the page in the Hobonichi planners.

20141012_115217
 All in all, I am happy with them. They'll brighten up my smash books, journals and day planners, and what have you, I just have to keep in mind sometimes they don't quite shimmer like I expect them to.

20141012_115152
Toss this pen in the "Learn how to use" category. Yes, I buy pens that I don't know how to use! But how do you resist when they're metallic? These pens are made by ZIG as well, but they are "Calligraphy-metallic-colours." I purchased the blue and red and by the example above, I clearly have no idea what I'm doing with them. But the intention is there!

20141012_115332
Each pen has a thick end for wide lettering.

20141012_115313
The smaller end is nice and thin. There was no problem with the metallic shimmer that both produced--they're completely lovely! And I can't wait to learn to use them properly.

20141012_115619
The last two pens in my ZIG collection are these beautiful Wink of Luna brush pens. I'm sure you've heard of the Wink of Stella brush pens--the craft community is crazy about them!--and when I saw they had created metallic colors, I had to try them out.

20141012_115716
Writing with them is truly like writing with a paint brush. The more pressure you put on the pen, the thicker the line is. I love the effect they give. See the shading in the black pen? One part of the stroke ends up with more gold shimmer than the rest, creating the shadowed look. They're beautiful, beautiful inks.

These have definitely earned their place in my stash already. I use them to label the month in my planners after I decorate across the top with washi. So far the pens have dried quickly, without smearing, each time I have used them on the washi. The previous week's planner pages don't stick together from the ink, and none of the ink puddles while I'm writing. I'm very satisfied with them!

Edited to add: I've had a wonderfully smart request to show whether the ink on these pens bleeds through. I'll be adding to the end of all the pen posts I have scheduled thus far, and will make sure to include the information any time I review a pen in the future. (Thank you for the suggestion, Deidre!)

20141017_181041
I tested the bleed through on two types of paper.
The first is the Loose Life filler paper I have always enjoyed writing on and is a bit thin. This particular pack of paper is vintage and I have not yet purchased a new pack to compare the paper quality.
The second is your standard computer printer paper (which is the white to the right of the photo) and is a bit thicker.

20141017_181357
Wink of Stella glitter pens front view: I've tested out a few of the pens on the computer paper to the right and the binder paper to the left.

20141017_181412
Wink of Stella glitter pens back view: There is quite a bit of bleed through, especially on the dark colors but even on lighter colors, such as the grey. I don't mind writing one sided for most things like letters or scrapbooking, but I wouldn't use these pens to write in my journal because the bleed through is a bit too much for me.

20141017_185948
Zig Metallic pens front view: The colors are dark and intense.

20141017_190013
Zig Metallic pens back view: As expected, the ink appears very dark on the thin binder paper.
 I was surprised to see the ink barely showed up on the reverse side of the computer paper. There is a small spot where the ink gathered when the pen paused in writing, but overall it's surprisingly good. I probably wouldn't use it on both sides of the paper (these seem more the type to use for titles) once I actually learn to use them.

6 comments:

  1. I am a pen fanatic and I haven't yet tried these. This was a big help to me!
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I'm so glad they helped someone! I love them because they're way more affordable than the fancier Wink of Stella glitter brush pens (which aren't really meant for writing anyway).

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing how these pens write. I have the wink of stella brush pens but have never seen the others in person before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I bought a couple of these for her a few months back when I ordered some of the brush pens as a gift for her, and she really liked them. It took me a few months to think, "Why don't I own a set myself?" They're so affordable that I couldn't resist getting one of every color!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the bleed through update! Love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm more than happy to do that for you. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com