Paper Beads


One of my favorite things to do is to make paper beads. My sister surprised me with an amazing paper bead roller a few months ago. I have the large European Bead Roller (aka Pandora sized beads) so I have the option of putting eyelets in the ends of the beads to finish them off. I love the look it gives (although that smaller sized bead roller is still on my wish list!) I'll have to do a review post of the paper bead roller I own, but for now I will tell you how much I love it! I have carpal tunnel and it has saved my wrist making paper beads 1,000 times over. In fact, I wouldn't be making paper beads without it.

I made them because we were having a discussion on the Two Peas Refugees board a couple of weeks ago regarding the amazing American Craft's "Hot Buy" paper that Micheal's has. There are 4 different lines of paper: Amy Tangerine, Dear Lizzy, Maggie Holmes & Crate Paper. I used two of the four to make my beads.

DSC_0143

The first paper I used was Dear Lizzy. Barrel beads are easiest to use with the eyelets capping the ends, so that is the direction I went with. I cut the beads the width of the stripes. I sealed the beads with Martha Stewart green Decoupage, which gave them a metallic green shimmer. I sealed the whole thing with Triple Thick, which is what I usually use as a sealant.

DSC_0150

The second paper I chose was from Crate Paper. This time I cut the sheet in half in order to make more beads out of the paper. The width became 4 1/2" and I cut the strips from there. I very rarely use a certain measurement on the width of my beads--I simply choose a line on my cutter and make sure the all the beads  come out the same width, but I do not intentionally chose a specific width. I tend to choose what feels right for the paper.

DSC_0163

Here you can see the difference in thickness between the two beads. The striped bead uses the entire length of the 8 1/2" piece of paper, while the flower bead uses half that. As seen in the title photo, this gave me many more flower beads than striped beads. I got 8 striped beads out of the piece of paper, and 20 floral beads. The stripes are my favorite because I like the weight the thicker beads have. I normally use 12x12" paper and use the whole 12" strip to make heavy, bulky beads. What is your favorite type of paper bead to make?

DSC_0164
 DSC_0157

DSC_0165

DSC_0156

3 comments:

  1. Love the floral beads! Very pretty! I used to make paper beads when I was a child, with my great aunt. She'd save up all sorts of colourful magazine pages and we'd cut them into different shapes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made then when I was a child, too, and thought about messing around with them, but I have carpal tunnel so it's NOT FUN to do it with a toothpick or knitting needle anymore. When my sister surprised me with the machine it opened up a whole new world! It's a fun craft to do when you don't want to pull out a bunch of stuff to mess with, but you still want to do something crafty.

      Delete

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com