Washi & Glitter Tape Clothespin Tutorial

I thought it was only right to share with you how I make my chip-clip clothespins since I've been posted multitudes of photos of them!

Supplies
You will need:
  • Clothespins
  • Washi or Glitter Tape
  • Scissors
  • Your choice of glaze (I use Triple Thick)
  • Cheap paint brush

Step 1
Step One:
Cut your tape to size. American Craft's Tazzel glitter tape was the perfect width so I did not have to cut the widge, but below you will see my Jenni Bowlin houndstooth washi tape was too wide.
In order to cut the tape to size, I tape the washi to the clothespin itself and trim the edges off.
I prepare both sides at the same time.


Step 2
Step Two:
Lift one end of the washi tape and use your brush to spread your glaze (in my case, Triple Thick) under the tape, leaving the 2nd half of the wash tape stuck to the clothespin. Turn the clothespin around and gently lift the other end of the clothespin and spread glaze on the rest of the clothespin. Your tape will slide around a bit, but you can gently move your tape back into place.

If you carefully hold your pin by the sides, you can successfully complete this step for both sides, but feel free to do just one at a time. I've done each side one step at a time, just to squeeze in a few short minutes of crafting time each day.

You do not have to, but this is generally where I leave my clothespin to dry overnight to allow the glaze to dry thoroughly and hold the tape securely for the next step.

Step 3
 Step Three:
Completely cover the side of the clothespin in tape. Make sure you "spill" the glaze over onto the edges--this creates a barrier over the edge of the clothespin where the washi tape might lift up.

Complete this step carefully if you did not allow your pins to dry thoroughly after Step Two.

Because I do not glaze the sides of my pins and I keep them on a tray specifically for crafting, I will glaze both sizes and lay them sideways on my tray to dry. Again, this can also be done one side at a time.


Clothespins
Step Four:
Enjoy! Your pins are done!
I've used mine as chip-clips for a couple of weeks in the kitchen, holding various bags clothes, and so far all of my clothespins are holding up well. 

Please feel free to comment below and let me know if you tried the craft and how yours turned out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com