To Read


I have a problem: I hoard books. I have shelves of books. They sit around my room in stacks on every flat surface possible, pile up in stacks on the floor, and are hidden in corners wherever they fit. I have full shelves in the hallway across from my room that hold more books, in addition to the strays left around the house where they sit when they first come home or when they've been finished. They are everywhere. And I'm comforted by it.

My books are friends to me. My favorite novels hold characters I want to spend time with and allow me to visit worlds that I simply immerse myself in. Each stack of books holds the possibility that a new favorite will be discovered, while my book case of absolute favorite books bring comfort and familiarity. Sometimes, even though I have not read them, just the sight of a certain collection of books can bring me happiness.

A few booksI don't even have a name for one of those collections, I just have an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia when I see their spines. They're quick reads and are meant for a younger audience, but I love them just the same. Each book is a small slice of history written in the form a journal from the viewpoint of a boy or girl. They're small, hardbound books with a ribbon bookmark. One series is the Dear America series (the binding is reminiscent of the Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi) and the second is a slightly sturdier The Royal Diaries series, both by Scholastic.


A few booksI love picking them up while I'm thrift shopping, I am terrible at reading them. I always put them aside for a more "grown up" read. Well, that's changed. I have a thought that I'll read them to make room on my shelf and pass them on, but if I make friends with them while I'm reading them, that is in danger of changing. I doubt any will be a favorite, but they are so pretty lined up on a shelf it might be difficult to let go. (I have this idea in my head that they fit more in with The American Girl books--short and simple--that they probably won't compete for room on my favorites shelves with North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Persuasion by Jane Austen, or The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy by Carrie Ryan.) If I do choose to let them go, however, I have someone in mind whose young daughters might be interested in this type of read because they love The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

And there is another problem I have: when I love a book, I cannot just let it go. I have to pass it on to someone else who I hope will love it as much as I do. Books are not passing fancy, they are a life long passion and they must be treasured, appreciated and loved.

I've decided to read through my entire collection of these little books before I make a decision about their future, and even reread the couple I have already read. I am starting out with Dear America: Early Sunday Morning: The Pearl Harbor Diary of Amber Billows, Hawaii, 1941 by Barry Denenberg. I will let you know what my thoughts are on the book after I've read it, but I will warn you I am not reading them for historical accuracy (the only book I would be able to properly judge on that front is Dear America's take on the Titanic disaster, which I have not yet read). I am reading them for the same sense of history and nostalgia I get when I view the covers lined up on my shelf. I am chasing a book related feeling.


 

IMG_0141

1 comments:

  1. These are adorable books when gathered together and can see why they're tough to let go. I need to go through mine again and donate them to the new book store.

    ReplyDelete

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com