Costume Jewelry Christmas Trees

 (Photo of a small portion of my own rhinestone jewelry...time to dig it ALL out!)
Sometimes, a craft will worm it's way into my head and I won't be able to get it out of my mind. I'll be struck by an image online, save the link, move on, and it'll work it's way out again before I push it aside. Sometimes, it's necessary to brush it, or to pin it to my Pinterest board and move on: I don't have the skill or the supplies to create it, but it's nice to think that one day I will.

In this case, I have no excuse. Month after month I have seen images of Costume Jewelry Christmas Trees. They don't seem to be popular anymore and it's difficult to find images of them. Most photographs I come across are of vintage ones someone's mother made or they came across in a garage sale. The best part, though, is over and over again many of them suggest using broken costume jewelry to build these garish, fantastic trees, something we have plenty of around here! I just need to gather my supplies and get organized enough to do it.

For now, here are a few images I discovered while searching for ideas on how to create my own:


Costume Jewelry Trees
TheBrassHussy on Flickr (who loves working with brass findings, thus her name!) discovered a collection of more sparsely decorated trees at a local antique shop back in 2009. And they light up!

Christmas jewels  
Karol Frank's tree was fun to discover! The tree is chock-full of rhinestones and sparkle, making an amazingly well balanced and filled creation.


Aunt Kathie's jeweled Christmas tree made with our grandmother's costume jewelry~
Vicki.P posted a photo of a tree her aunt made with their grandmother's costume jewelry. What a family heirloom! I couldn't find a closeup, but I can imagine the treasures included inside that frame.

faubulous christmas tree
"Researching" Costume Jewelry Trees (AKA drooling over them!) is a great way to discover what your taste is. These are large, over the top pieces no matter how minimal you make them, so it's good to think about what you want to do before you create your own. In my case, I don't think I want to edge the piece in rhinestone trim because I think it can give kind of a hard, abrupt line to something that more or less looks like it's floating together. It doesn't mean it's not beautiful--just look at this one by jaunty drifter!--you just have to learn what your taste is and what best fits in with your home decor.
Christmas Tree
There are so many decisions to be made when creating the tree! junkmail050269's tree has an adorable flip made by using curved pieces. I guess the biggest question I have right now is, do I have enough to do that myself?

Have you ever made a costume jewelry tree, or know someone who has? Did it meet your expectations, or is this just not your taste? I know when I sit down to create my tree, it will probably take a couple of us crafters to decide exactly where we want the jewels to be placed--and to double check that they're broken before we glue them down!

1 comments:

  1. Grandma's friend, Dorothy, had a beautiful jewelry tree she kept on her living room wall all year 'round. She said it held a lot of memories and wanted to enjoy them.

    I can't wait to rummage through our stash of broken jewelry to help create your perfect tree!

    ReplyDelete

 

Pinterest Update

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com